From 1962 to 1976, 1995 to 1999, and 2007 onward more than 2,500 Peace Corps Volunteers worked in education, health, agriculture, community development and other fields in Ethiopia and Eritrea, countries that remain among the poorest in the world.
In 2003 Ethiopia & Eritrea RPCVs established the RPCV Legacy Program™ to allow returned Peace Corps Volunteers from these two countries to continue their legacy of service and assistance. To be part of the Program each project must be proposed by an RPCV or EE Staff “champion,” and reviewed and approved by the E&E RPCVs board of directors.
The champion donates 10% of the goal for the project, is manager of the project working closely with a member of the E&E RPCVs board. Be a champion.
As of April 1, 2016, the RPCV Legacy Program has raised US $260,000 for eight important education and health projects in Ethiopia and Eritrea. Five projects have met their goals while three others are ongoing.
Our current projects are:
- Axum Children’s Library Enhancement championed by Dwight Sullivan (Yergalem, Dodola, 1970-72) and Janet Lee (Emdeber, 1974-76)
- Borana Student Advancement championed by Fuller Torrey (Staff: Ethiopia 1964–66)
- Hesperian Health Guides for Communities championed by Marian Haley Beil (Debre Berhan 1962–64)
- ITC (computer) Lab for Mettu School championed by Patti Garamendi (Mettu 1966–68) and Faith Garamendi
You can help by making a tax-deductible donation of any amount to one or more of the RPCV Legacy Program projects. A US dollar still goes a long way in Ethiopia and Eritrea!
E&E RPCVs maintains a separate account for each project and disburses ALL donations for each project to the recipient partner.
Your gift may be made in your name, anonymously, or in honor or memory of a friend, family member or other loved one.
For your records, the group's legal name is Ethiopia & Eritrea RPCVs, Inc. We are qualified as a tax exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Our federal tax identification number is 54‑2113336. We are a New York state nonprofit corporation. Our New York state corporate number is 20-44-17.
Ethiopia & Eritrea RPCVs will acknowledge receipt of your donation and provide you with documentation of donations for tax purposes.
To donate using a check:
- Make your check out to E&E RPCVs,
- In the subject line, name the recipient project,
- Include your email address for tax receipt,
- Send your check to —
1634 Martha Terrace
Rockville MD 20852-4134